Saturday, February 26, 2011

Music as Poetry #1- Let It Be

Alright, so I haven't been keeping my promise of posting daily. That is because life seemed to become more busy than I thought. I will try to write at least two posts a week now, maybe three if I get the time. I'd like to apologize for having disappeared for a while but I'm back! I hope you keep reading and commenting.

Now, I'd like to emphasize the fact that most of the songs you listen to on a daily basis is just poetry put to music. The lyrics of songs are the real poetry. Some rhyme and some don't like some of the poems I've talked about before. Today we shall read and listen to one of my favorite songs in the world: Let It Be. I love The Beatles and this is one of Paul McCartney's big hits. So, let us begin.

Let It Be
By Paul McCartney (Lennon/McCartney)

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me, 
speaking words of wisdom, let it be. 
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me, 
speaking words of wisdom, let it be. 

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be. 
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be. 

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree, 
there will be an answer, let it be. 
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see, 
there will be an answer. let it be. 

Let it be, let it be, ..... 

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me, 
shine until tomorrow, let it be. 
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me, 
speaking words of wisdom, let it be. 

Let it be, let it be, ..... 


So, the message is quite simple: things will get well in the end if you just let things be. Really simple but the beauty of it all comes from the way it is sung. The singer must show the worry in him/her and show that it will all be good in the end. Now, Paul talks about Mother Mary in the song and many think he is talking about the Virgin Mary. In some ways he his but he also had a mother, and her name was Mary. I like that connection, makes the song more meaningful. Well, that's all from me for today. Please comment!

Preformed by Sir McCartney and the Wings




1 comments:

Sarrah said...

While I do believe that music and lyrics is poetry, I don't think that necessarily makes all songwriters poets. Take Alicia Keys for example. She writes fantastic songs, but her book of poetry was quite...well, horrible, imo.
But I like the post and love that song :)

Post a Comment

 

The Not-So-Dead Poets' Society © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates